Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

GUEST POST: The Cyberpunk Elven World by Jess C. Scott

Thanks to Waiting on Sunday for hosting me today!




My name is Jess and I write in a range of different genres. I always try to do something original and unique with each project (whether via the writing style, or the characters/content of the story).
One of the urban fantasy projects I’ve been working on features“cyberpunk elven thieves.” I thought it made for a cool concept.

The cyberpunk genre is set in the near-future—I didn’t want to go too extreme with the sci-fi vein, partly because I suspected I might end up getting lost along the way. I wanted to focus more on the relationship aspects between the main characters, instead of the gadgets and gizmos in their hi-tech world (though these were elements I had to keep in mind too, for a certain amount of technological realism).

I guess the world I created for The Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy blends both cyberpunk and urban fantasy elements. It makes for a gritty yet slightly ethereal appeal. There are elements of “dystopia” in the world, though it’s not totally hopeless, dreary and bleak (I believe real life is miserable enough!).

One of the key aspects of cyberpunk is the all-pervasive control and influence that megacorporations have over society (and people’slives, as a result). The cyberpunk elves in the project are part of the freedom-fighting group of rebels who are committed to bringing about some kind of positive change in the world (by whatever means possible). The good elves in the story generally try not to kill their enemies unless it’s absolutely necessary. One of their weapons is an eco-friendly laser gun  that keeps a person unconscious for 48 hours (the gun contains ammo that is biodegradable).

Environmental concerns also feature in the project. From the time I was a young kid, I’ve always been fond of nature and animals/plants(whatever is part of the “natural world”). If we don’t care for our planet, its resources are going to be completely depleted sometime in future. By that time, humans might have the option to “migrate to Mars,” but the same problem will happen all over again if they don’t respect and care for the environment in which they live in.

This project has been quite a tricky one to handle (due to the combination of sometimes-conflicting elements), though it’s never been boring. It’s always my aim to create non-shallow stories which people can still relate to—and the world in which these cyberpunk elven thieves lives in (a world that could very well be “our world”in the near future) allows me to do just that.
=====
Jessis a professional non-conformist with a fresh, youthful world view.  She is an author of relationship-based erotic fiction (and other unique projects, including the one that features “cyberpunk elven thieves”). She’s cool, supportive, and writes with both intellectand a lot of emotion.

She has most recently co-authored Teen Guide to Sex and Relationships with Matt Posner (Spring 2012). For more info, please visit http://jessink.com/teenguide.htm 


Jess can also be found on jessINK, Facebook, and Twitter.

To see the next stop on the tour visit Orange Berry Book Tours

No comments:

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Midnight Dreams Danced Among the Stars kit by Tangie