Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review & Scavenger HUNT: Nocturnal by Chelsea M. Cameron



Synopsis:  Seventeen-year-old Ava-Claire Sullivan isn't one for doing the expected. Especially when she finds out her mother's cancer is terminal. After a crying session in the local cemetery where she's attacked by one strange guy and saved by another, she doesn't call the cops. Because those guys definitely weren't your average hooligans. 

And the one who sort-of saved her? Well, he's odd. He doesn't seem to breathe or smile or have anything better to do than wait in the cemetery for Ava to come back. Which she does. Call it morbid curiosity. Even after he warns her that he's dangerous, she can't stop wanting to see him, talk to him, be with him.
 

There's something about Peter that provides a much-needed escape from her mother's diagnosis and her tenuous relationship with her father. Even her best friends Jamie and Texas don't know what it's like to face death. But Peter does. He already has. He also made a promise a long time ago that could destroy both of them.
 

When everything in your life is falling apart, what are you willing to give up to hold onto the one thing that could last forever?
  




Review:  First things, first, is this cover not gorgeous?  I love, love, love the black with the pink.  Beautiful!  They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but let's face it - when a cover is this beautiful I'm more drawn to it, and there is more a chance that I'm going to read it.

Second, I would like to thank Chelsea M. Cameron and Supagurl Book Tours for giving me the chance to read and review this book as part of the tour.

Ava, our heroine, is going through a tough time.  Her mom has terminal cancer.  I can't even imagine how hard this must be.  Ava is hanging out in the cemetery, which seems morbid to me - but it's her quiet place.  While there she is attacked by some hooligans and rescued by Peter, a mysterious guy, with a dangerous edge.  Ava, reacts to the things in her life the way a normal teenage girl does.  She is strong, and stubborn, and sometimes a tad stupid (hanging out the cemetery at night, going back around the dangerous boy who warned her to stay away).  All in all, Ava is likable and funny (as in sarcastic funny).

I love Texas and Jaime - Ava's two best friends.  Texas is the party girl, full of spunk (see my next post for her character bio).  Ava's friends are loyal and fun, and there for her when she needs it most.  As for Peter, I'm still not sure how I feel about him.  He is strange, which has to do with him being Noctalis (a vampire, but not - trust me - you need to read it to understand it).  I'm hoping book two, Nightmares (which is free on Amazon at the moment - both books are in fact) gives us more insight into Peter.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book.  It was refreshing, because it was a type of paranormal I haven't really read before.  Like I said - vampires, but not vampires.  Trust me, you gotta read it.  The language wasn't too deep, but it wasn't too simple either.  The language and behaviors in the book are real - the characters talk how you and I would talk.  It seems like it comes natural.  The characters are likable.  I'm definitely planning to read Nightmares so that I can find out more about the Noctalis and continue learning about Ava and Peter.

There is a scavenger hunt going on as part of this tour.  The rules for the hunt are located at Supagurl Book Tours (http://supagurlbooks.blogspot.com/p/noctalis-tour-scavenger-hunt.html).  Look for the bold/different colored word in each post as part of the tour, and when you find all the words, enter to win some awesome prizes.

No comments:

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Midnight Dreams Danced Among the Stars kit by Tangie