Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout


Synopsis:  Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review: 
Obsidian (Lux, #1)Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've had Obsidian on my Kindle, forever, but I have so many books to read, that I just finally got to it. On the one hand I'm sorry I waited so long to read such a great book. On the other hand - I'm glad that I just finished it because the second book came out today, and now I don't have to wait to continue the story.

I really like Katy as a main character. She kind of reminds me of me a little bit. She's into reading big time and she's from Florida, and she lacks a bit of confidence. I like that she lets Deamon push her into being more confident, even when she is shaking on the inside. I also like that she has a good sense of self and what is right and wrong. She is truly a good friend. She is willing to sacrifice herself for her friendship. She works hard to be friends with Dee despite opposition from some powerful people. She seems to have a good relationship with her mom. I also like her because she has spunk. The spaghetti incident cracked me up. Sometimes when I'm reading a book I want to throttle the lead female because of some deficiency in her character - but not with Katy - she is the kind of girl I'd like to be friends with.

Daemon is smoking hot! He has the major bad boy thing going for him. Usually when an author talks on and on about how ripped and sexy their male character is without his shirt on I do a mental eye roll at how cliche it sounds. Not so with Jennifer Armentrout. Jennifer does an excellent job of making Daemon sound swoon worthy without sounding cheesy or overdone. I love how Deamon riles Katy by calling her kitten. Deamon moves to my top five list of hottest fictional males. The interactions between Daemon and Katy are smoldering! Daemon isn't just a bad boy. He has a hidden sensitive side. He is incredibly loyal to and protective of his sister, Dee.

Dee is a sweet-heart. She makes me smile, when I read of her antics. She is a great person, and the kind of girl anyone would be lucky to know - whether as a sister, friend, or girl-friend. I love the fight over the ice cream. Dee is also firm about what she believes in, sticks up for herself, and makes sure that she gets what she wants when it's really important.

I haven't read a lot of alien books - so this was a refreshing change from vampires and werewolves. It kind of has a Roswell (the TV show) vibe to it - but not the same. Just the same kind of vibe. The writing was clean and realistic. The characters in the book talk like normal teenagers would speak. I didn't notice any grammatical errors. The world-building is great. The way Jennifer talks about Grant and Pendleton counties in West Virginia makes me want to visit - and soon.

I can't wait to start reading Onyx.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Christy Maurer said...

There are so many books that look so great to me! This is one I've been wanting to read. I love the fact that she thinks West Virginia is like the end of the world lol. Can't wait to make time for this one and Onyx!

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Midnight Dreams Danced Among the Stars kit by Tangie