Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review: Sugar and Spice and Not So Nice by Janet McNulty


Sugar and Spice and Not So Nice tells the story of Mellow Summers, who moves to Vermont with her best friend, Jackie, to attend film school.  Upon moving into their new apartment they discover that the prior occupant, Rachel, was murdered not too long ago.  Mellow meets her neighbor, Greg, at school and finds out the Rachel was a film student as well.  The landlord tells the girls that the rent is so cheap because the other tenants have all left in a hurry claiming that the apartment is haunted.
One night, Mellow is startled to actually see Rachel.  Rachel persuades mellow to help her bring her killer to justice.  Things aren’t so easy though, because Rachel can’t remember anything that happened the night she died.  As Mellow works to solve the mystery of Rachel’s death, Rachel slowly remembers bits and pieces of the night of her murder.  With the help of her love interest- Greg, best friend – Jackie,  Greg’s cousin at the police department, and a biker gang,  can Mellow figure out who the killer is before she becomes the next victim?
Sugar and Spice and Not So Nice is a fun book, and a quick read.  The characters are likable and fun.  Rachel gets Mellow into situations that she wouldn’t normally get into.  Rachel teaches Mellow to stand up for herself – and after standing up to a biker gang, she earns their trust and makes an unlikely group of friends.  Mellow moves to Vermont to change her life, and you can see her growing and changing through her experience of helping Rachel.  Some parts of the story progressed a little fast, but overall, I really liked the book, and can’t wait to see if there is a second book.

6 comments:

Evie said...

Great review :) Very detailed and thorough! I enjoyed reading your thoughts, thanks so much for sharing them :) I wouldn't usually pick it up looking at the cover (ah the horrible SG!) but thanks to your review I might consider it :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book. Enjoyed the review.

Linda Henderson said...

I'm not familiar with this book, but it does sound interesting. A mystery, a ghost, sounds like a good plot to me. I'll be adding it to my list. Thank you for the honest review.

Denise Z said...

Thank you for sharing with us. This is the first I have heard of this book and I will definitely be checking it out further :)

Kristin A. said...

Mellow such an interesting character name.

engelsigh said...

Evie, I agree that the cover isn't appealing ... but the old saying goes, you can't judge a book by it's cover...lol...though I often do base my book selection on the cover.

Kristen, I like the name Mellow as well. It's different.

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Midnight Dreams Danced Among the Stars kit by Tangie